Depending on your email provider, you might have the option to enable POP (Post Office Protocol) for new incoming mail instead of keeping it in your inbox and on your hard drive. POP downloads email from the server to your computer, but deletes it from the server once you’ve downloaded it. That way, if you stop using the account and delete the emails from your inbox, no one can access those messages anymore and they are available only on your computer. How to Enable POP for New Mail
Setting up your account
Table of Contents
In order to be able to retrieve mail from a client through POP, you need to enable this service. Enabling POP on your Gmail account is easy! Just follow these steps:
1) Click Settings in the top-right corner of your inbox.
2) Select Forwarding and POP/IMAP from the dropdown menu that appears.
3) Make sure Enable POP for all mail is checked.
4) Scroll down and click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
Connecting your email
The first step is to establish a connection between your email and your phone. Start by downloading the app from the iTunes store, or getting it from Google Play. If you’re not sure if you have the correct app, search for Yahoo! Mail in either marketplace.
Next, go into Settings on your phone and tap Accounts & Sync. Tap Add Account, choose Yahoo!, and log in with your account information. Select Mail as the email type. Tap Yahoo!
Setting up your email client
It’s super easy and convenient to set up a new email client by downloading your favorite one from the iTunes store or Google Play Store. All you need is an email address, a username, and a password. Â If you’re changing your default email client from iphone mail or ipad mail, then you need:
-The name of the company that hosts your account.
Configuring POP settings in Outlook 2007
1. Log in to Outlook 2007 with your account name and password.
2. Select the File tab on the toolbar, then choose Account Settings from the list of options that appears under it.
3. From the Account Settings dialog box, select your email account and click on More Settings…
4. On the properties window, scroll down and make sure that POP is selected as your email retrieval method. (If not, select it.)
Configuring IMAP Settings in Outlook 2007
To connect Outlook 2007 with an IMAP account, do the following:
1. Go to Tools, then Options in the main menu bar at the top.
2. On the left hand side, click Connection.
3. In the Advanced Settings box, select Yes next to This server requires a secure connection (SSL).
4. In the same box, enter your email address and password.
5. Hit Apply and you’re done!
Configuring SMTP settings in Outlook 2007
1. Go to the Tools menu and select Account Settings.
2. Under E-mail, click Outgoing Server (SMTP).
3. Click on More Settings in the right pane of this window.
4. Select the Access tab at the top of this new window, then check both Require message integrity check and Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
5. In addition, you’ll need to change your outgoing server port number from 25 to 465 or 587.
6. Finally, uncheck My outgoing server requires authentication.
7. Hit OK when you’re done making changes, then close the window and restart Outlook 2007 by closing it out with File -> Exit Outlook 2007 and reopening it again
Enabling Automatic Draft Saving in Gmail/Outlook 2010
1. In Gmail, press the ‘gear’ button on the right hand side of your screen and select Settings from the drop down menu.
2. Select the tab that says ‘Accounts and Import’ and click on it.
3. Scroll down to Automatically save a draft: where you will see two checkboxes: Drafts and Cached mail. Check the box next to Drafts.
4. Click Save Changes at the bottom of your screen, you’re all set! Enabling Automatic Draft Saving in Outlook 2010:
5. Right-click on the Account name under Outlook in the top left corner of your screen and choose Properties.
6. In the window that pops up, go to Additional Services Tab > Outgoing Server (SMTP) > More Settings > Advanced
7. Make sure Basic Authentication is unchecked and Integrated Windows Authentication is checked under Logon Information. 4. Click OK twice to close both windows